Two students in the Athletic Training program earned external scholarships for their academic performance.
- Dong Jae “David” Park received awards from both the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research and Education Foundation and the Illinois Athletic Trainers’ Association.
- Brian “Nick” Stief was awarded the Mid-American Conference Athletic Training Student Scholarship. He was one of two students to earn the award across all MAC schools that sponsor an athletic training program. Phil Voorhis, NIU’s assistant athletic director for Sports Medicine and Athletic Training, nominated Stief for the award.
* * *
Dennis Awen, a doctoral dissertation student in the Department of Counseling, Adult and Higher Education, received an award for his paper presented at the 2017 International Symposium on Education and Psychology in Seoul, Korea. Awen initially started writing the paper last spring for an assignment in CAHA 733.
* * *
Three College of Education students are among the 2017 class of the Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois program, a group of 234 dynamic young people who have chosen to dedicate themselves to future careers teaching students in Illinois schools-of-need. All are majoring in Elementary Education.
- Lauren Anhalt of Plainfield is a sophomore.
- Halley Fogerty of Wheaton is a freshman.
- Hailey Pezdek of Worth is a freshman.
Launched in 1989, the Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois program is uniquely designed to prepare future teachers to thrive in the most challenging high-needs school environments where more resilient teachers are desperately needed. The program provides tuition assistance to each future teacher while they pursue an undergraduate education.
* * *
Ben Mommer, an M.S.Ed.-IT student in the Department of Educational Technology, Research and Assessment, worked an amazing summer internship at the Shedd Aquarium. Mommer created training videos and captivate modules for the marine mammal training department.